Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How far will you go for dinner?


Christmas...our first Christmas together...overall: UNEVENTFUL.

It was the first Christmas for both of us to be away from our families, and both of us wished we had had some family to visit. We woke up about 6:30am opened our stockings :-) I got ponytails, werther's minis, candycanes, an orange and a cute movie called IQ. Jim got a package of snickers, almond joy, reeses, twizzlers, socks, an orange and his favorite kind of mints, and a holiday cookie which he didn't care for so I ended up eating it for him. :-) Then I went back to sleep while Jim played a game he bought online. When I woke up the second time Jim made hootnani pancakes and we had that with a glass of milk and homemade syrup which again Jim made :-) After that it just felt like any other day. :-( We decided to go out for dinner...little did we know...EVERYTHING was closed. First we tried Olive Garden, CLOSED. Dennys...but we left. Golden Corrall CLOSED Outback Steakhouse CLOSED Village Inn CLOSED...

After an hour of searching, we gave up on finding food and just decided to drive around a little bit. The sun was setting at just the right angle to turn the snow on the mountains pink. It was beautiful! While driving in downtown Provo, we saw a Japanese restaurant open so we went in...they were short handed but dinner came out quick and it was the perfect portion :-) A little weird to have Japanese for Christmas dinner...but what can ya do?
The Sunday after Christmas we were going to have what WAS supposed to be our "Christmas Dinner". Christmas, I was so blasted tired it never happened. I was all excited because I didn't want our Christmas Dinner to be just like any other dinner and we bought these Rock Cornish Game Hens, seemed easy enough. Well....haha...little did I know! It was terrible! So first I pulled them out, I was kind of scared to look inside of them because I didn't know if they were cleaned out. Then I rinsed them off and had them sitting on the cutting board over the sink, while Jim was reading the recipe and I think that is about the time I started to lose it. I picked up the wings of the little hens and made them dance and laughed out loud while I did! :-) The recipe we found said to cut them in half length wise...Jim did that part...he had to cut through their little ribcages. Poor little things probably never saw it comin :-( We thought maybe it would work out better if we only cut them through one side. haha. so he cut through the front of the ribcage...and then we stuck em in the oven......****ONE HOUR LATER***.....Jim pulls the birds out of the oven while I was on the couch. When I looked up I swear he was a weird ghostly green color! The hens looked so gross! Kind of like someone who fake 'n bakes way too much...they looked like they were plastic...it was disgusting! The worst part is that we could actually see the liquid boiling inside...THROUGH THE HENS! *gag* Neither of us were even brave enough to try it. I almost did but the second I caught a wiff of it....that ended. Jim had to throw it all away...we are both so traumatized from this...we decided never to try to cook the little things again...I also learned...never experiment with new things for a Holiday meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment